FAIRFIELD, Calif. —
The city of Fairfield is threatening legal action against Republic Services after two weeks without trash pickup as a sanitation worker strike continues in cities across Northern California.
Giant dumpsters have been set up at four sites in the city of Fairfield, including at Allan Witt Park.
Dumpsters have been overflowing, and crews have been coming by to haul away the piles of garbage. The trash on the ground has already filled two big trucks.
The mayor said this is not cutting it. She is demanding that Republic Services do more to prevent a health emergency in the city.
"We're all fed up, and my citizens are upset," Mayor Catherine Moy said.
Until things return to normal, residents are advised to keep their garbage bins curbside and, if necessary, are encouraged to use their blue recycling and green organics bins for trash.
Moy said the city has sent a letter to Republic Services. It states there's been a breach of contract, and the city may seek damages if garbage service doesn't resume soon.
"Get it done. Get out on the streets and get it done," Moy said. "We have about 35,000 households, and it's for every one of those households that they get fined, so it adds up real fast."
The mayor also said residents need to be reimbursed for all missed pickups.
Families who haven't had their trash picked up are saying things are quickly getting out of control.
"I opened up the garbage lid and there were maggots all over," Fairfield resident Marilyn Ojeda said, commenting on the worsening state of her bin. "I said, 'Greg, I've got to get rid of these. We cannot keep all this garbage in here.'"
The city of Fairfield said it is asking Republic Services to have 24-hour security at these drop-off sites because some people are coming here and dumpster diving, taking the trash out of its bags.
Officials are urging people to do their best not to make matters worse.
Impacts for Taste of Downtown
The overflowing trash is also putting a damper on preparations for Taste of Downtown, which is set for Thursday evening in Fairfield.
It's normally an event that brings great exposure for restaurants like Casa Agave or Saffron Indian Cuisine and Bar.
"We told them that our trash is overflowing, but the response was very minimal and disappointing, too," said Deep Verma of Saffron Indian Cuisine and Bar.
Verma, along with Luis Gutierrez of Casa Agave, worries the trash on the streets could spoil the event's atmosphere.
"It can create a health risk for the public as well," Gutierrez noted.
Fairfield Council Member Scott Tonnesen acknowledged the concerns.
"Garbage has been the main topic of conversation, certainly in this city, for the last week, so we’re trying to address it as best we can," Tonnesen said.
He explained that the city is providing limited services and prioritizing cleanup in key areas like downtown, the North Texas Corridor, and West Texas Street.
Public trash drop-off sites
To help manage the overflow of household waste, the City of Fairfield has coordinated with Republic to stage large dumpsters at four public drop-off sites. These are available for residents to get rid of household garbage:
Strike negotiations went until 3 p.m. on Tuesday and are expected to resume Wednesday with the union and Republic Services.