DARIEN, IL – The owner of Darien's Q Bar is doubling down on his decision to let a singer with ties to the Proud Boys perform at his bar.
And this week, he supported another person's comment on his Facebook page that suggested death for those who disagree.
Last weekend, the bar's owner, Bob Taft, said on Facebook that he had received many "nasty" and "hateful" messages from strangers since it was revealed he was hosting former Misfits frontman Michale Graves next Wednesday.
Graves has expressed support and testified for members of the Proud Boys, which the Southern Poverty Center has labeled a hate group.
In his comments, Taft said, "My buddy Tom summed up my feelings better than I could toward these trolls/strangers." He was referring to Donald Trump's "border czar," Tom Homan, who spoke at a conservative conference a couple of months ago.
In the clip of Homan's speech that Taft posted, Homan said he didn't "give a s– what you think about me. I get asked all the time, 'Does it bother you that a big part of this country hates your guts?' I don't care."
In response to critics on Facebook, Taft wrote that the previous night was one of the top days, excluding New Year's Eve and Black Wednesdays, in the bar's 24 years.
"Thanks for the free publicity and keep it up!" Taft wrote. "I may have to book Michale Graves again in the summer!"
Taft referred to Graves' opponents as a "bunch of liberals who live in their mommy's basement (who) are mad at the boogie man."
He labeled his online critics as "crazy liberal keyboard warrior(s)."
At the end of the thread, a man backed up Taft.
"F– (them) all. They start showing up just let me know. We'll show up too. Might wanna start digging a few holes just in case," the man said.
Taft approved of the comment with a "heart" icon.
Patch messaged Taft about his reaction to the post. He said he would never approve of physical violence.
"The only reason this show is getting so much attention is due to you posting about it all the time," he told Patch. "We have an artist coming to perform who denies everything said about him, please go to his X (Twitter) page to read what he actually says, not what others say about him."
Taft has served on Darien's Economic Development Committee. He is now on a city advisory panel for the city's new Darien Business Alliance.
At a City Council meeting earlier this month, Mayor Joseph Marchese said the city does not condone Graves' views. But he said Q Bar has the right to choose its performers.
Marchese read a statement from Taft, who said the performance would not involve politics or hate.
"There is just music," Taft said.
At the time, Marchese said the city looks at Taft for what he contributes to the community, not what he publishes on social media.
Taft is no stranger to controversy. In 2023, he messaged former Darien Alderman Tom Chlystek, calling him a "f– loser" and the alderman's wife a "pig." And Taft bragged that he made a lot more money than Chlystek. The men disagreed over video gambling.
In a later email to Patch, Taft said he apologized for his comments.